Light requirement for seed germination-Summary

Yiji Xia yxia at iastate.edu
Sun Jan 14 22:52:39 EST 1996

Dear Arabinetter:
I'd like to thank all those who took time to respond
to my qustion on how to germination Arabidopsis seed
under dark. Some people also asked me to forward the
Here, I summarize some of the responses.
**********************
Arabidopsis seeds germination is regulated by
photochrome and thus, in general, light is required,
although the amount of light that is needed is tiny.
Dr. Karen Parker recommended a short exposure (10 or
15 min should be more than necessary, but could be
longer) to normal room light in the cold after full
imbibition but before the emergence of the radical for
good germination (also see Su and Howell, 1995, Plant
Physiol. 108:1423-1430). The light requirement can be
bypassed with GA (see, for example Karlin-Neumann et
al. 1988, Plant Physiol. 88:1323-31). Longer cold
treatment (a week or longer) will also increase
germination rate. In addition, Dr. Vizir suggested
following treatment:
----I would recommend to use the following protocol
for fresh seeds:
O.1% KNO3 wet filter paper
room temperature - 1 day
cold (2..4 C) - 3-4 days
room temperature (dark is O'K) - 2 days
Expected result - 100% synchronous germination
Please, e-mail me about your results after you try
this.
Sincerely
Igor Vizir
Nottingham University-----