dark germination

jkreps at AUSTEN.OIT.UMASS.EDU jkreps at AUSTEN.OIT.UMASS.EDU
Tue Jan 30 13:01:57 EST 1996

Dear Jim M. and Others,

I too have germinated Arab. seeds in liquid culture, but the cultures were
shaking to enhance oxygen exchange.  And, I have successfully used
surface-sterilized seeds, stored in H2O at 4C for over 30 days.  I think the
wording in my original posting was slightly inaccurate.  I should have used
the term suffocated instead of drowned.  My thinking is that seeds that sit
in water, on a plate at RT may not get enough oxygen and fail to germinate.
The two examples cited below may represent the oxygen rich environment of a
shaking liquid culture and seeds soaking at 4C in H2O may not be respiring
enough to be affected by reduced oxygen.

Joel A. Kreps
Biochem and Mol. Bio.
UMass Amherst