Excerpt from AgBiotech Reporter - Call For Submissions

Andrew R. Apel A.Apel at mcleodusa.net
Fri Jan 23 18:29:51 EST 1998

<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.02 [en]C-DIAL  (Win95; U)
[Netscape]">
</HEAD>
<BODY TEXT="#000000" BGCOLOR="#C0C0C0" LINK="#0000FF" VLINK="#551A8B"
ALINK="#FF0000">
&nbsp;

<P><I><B><FONT SIZE=+2>A Letter To Our Readers</FONT></B></I>

<P><I>by Andrew Apel</I>
<BR><I>Managing Editor</I>

<P>The staff of AgBiotech Reporter have long held to a philosophy of introducing
incremental changes as a means to improve this publication, and from talking
to a number of our readers, we've found our approach has met with a good
deal of approval. This edition introduces yet another incremental change,
which we hope will be similarly well-received.

<P>Recently, we took another (customary) hard look at the way we cover
the news and noticed that most of the scientific data which circulate in
the field of agricultural biotechnology deal with discoveries which represent
substantial advances over prior art and often lead to the formation of
new intellectual properties or products. Beyond a doubt, that information
is interesting--but little is available about the demanding and intricate
work of the professional scientist that precedes such discoveries. Perhaps
worse than this, from a practical standpoint, is the lack of information
on those incremental improvements in technique or procedure which are
unspectacular,
but nonetheless useful or productive in the lab.

<P>To make up for this unfortunate lacuna, we have added a "Tips and Techniques"
section in Research News, where scientists can exchange information of
this nature, with each other. It is my personal hope that the readers of
AgBiotech Reporter will come to view this new section as theirs, and to
treat it as a means of helping their colleagues around the world to more
efficiently achieve the results they are looking for. We are grateful to
Dr. Altosaar for the offering which has inaugurated our new section, and
look forward to receiving more in the same vein at<I> fax (319) 277-3783,
email A.Apel at mcleodusa.net.</I>
</BODY>
</HTML>