LFY3

Detlef Weigel weigel at salk.edu
Tue Jul 6 17:14:13 EST 1999

More and more instances of the Arabidopsis "LFY3" gene are appearing in
the database and in the literature, and I have received several
inquiries regarding the relationship between LFY3 and the LEAFY (LFY)
gene, which my lab has been studying.

The short answer is that there is no LFY3 locus.  The sequence
difference between the LFY Landsberg and Columbia alleles was discovered
by Elliot Meyerowitz and myself, and we forwarded this information to
Konieczny  and Ausubel, who made this into the "LFY3" CAPS marker.  I
guess that the digit 3 stands for the third combination of primers that
was tried for the LFY Col/Ler CAPS marker, and it is unfortunate that
the digit ended up in the literature in a way that suggests the
existence of a separate LFY3 locus.

To avoid further confusion in the literature, I suggest that anybody
using the "LFY3" CAPS marker publish her data simply as "LFY".