NAASC Nominations

Charles S. Gasser csgasser at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 2 16:57:22 EST 2001

<x-flowed>!!NOMINATE CANDIDATES FOR THE NAASC BY FEB. 14!!

Dear North American Arabidopsis Researchers,

We are soliciting nominations for election of two new members to the
North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee (NAASC), to replace
Chuck Gasser and Steve Kay, who will finish their three+ year terms
of service on June 28. Continuing members are Mary Lou Guerinot and
Kathy Barton, who are completing their second years, and Peter
McCourt and Mike Sussman, who were elected last year.  The NAASC has
several vital roles:

1.  The NAASC serves as the organizing (and fundraising) committee
for the International Conference on Arabidopsis Research when this
meeting is held in North America.  The NAASC also helps ensures
solicitation and choice of the site for every third meeting, which is
held outside of North America.  The NAASC solicits funds to help
North American junior scientists travel to the international meeting.

2.  The NAASC serves as liaison between members of the community and
government and not-for-profit groups granting agencies.

3.  The NAASC provides representation of the community to  service
facilities (e. g. ABRC, TAIR).

By unanimous vote of the current NAASC, we have altered the term of
service to coincide with the annual meeting (our primary
responsibility), rather than the calendar year.  Terms of service now
begin at the time of election, sometime prior to the annual meeting
in that year.  Terms end just after the fourth annual meeting
following election.  This results in a term of up to a few months
more than three years, and helps to ensure continuity in the
committee by providing a few months (and one annual meeting) of
overlap between outgoing and incoming members.

Any reader of the Arabidopsis newsgroup (arab-gen at net.bio.net,
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/ARABIDOPSIS/) may nominate a candidate
for the NAASC.

This year, we request that nominations be made on or before Feb. 14.
To nominate one or more candidates, you can reply to this message, or
send a message to csgasser at ucdavis.edu with the words "NAASC
Nominations" somewhere in the "subject" line.

Nominees will be contacted by the NAASC to ensure that they are
willing to serve if elected.  A ballot of such nominees will be sent
out via the newsgroup as soon as this is accomplished and all readers
of the newsgroup may vote.  The two candidates obtaining the most
votes will become the new members of the NAASC.

Thank you all in advance for your prompt nominations!

Sincerely,
Chuck Gasser for the NAASC (Chuck Gasser, Steve Kay, Mary Lou
Guerinot, Kathy Barton, Peter McCourt, and Mike Sussman)
=======================================
Charles S. Gasser, Ph.D.
Professor
Section of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of California
1 Shields Ave.
Davis, CA  95616

csgasser at ucdavis.edu