Growing Arabidopsis in sand

Wendy Allan wallan at uoguelph.ca
Tue May 1 14:10:10 EST 2001

Hello:

    I am trying to grow Arabidopsis cv columbia in sand. I want to be
able to quickly and easily harvest  the roots for analysis. Anyways, the
plants are germinated and grown in deep-dish petri plates filled with
moist sand under short-day conditions in a growth chamber. I fertilize
the plants frequently (ie approx. every other day) with Hoaglund's
solution. The petri plates are covered.  I am having trouble with algae
growth. Also, I want the rosettes to grow large. So far, after 2 to 3
weeks, the rosettes become completely chlorotic. I am also growing about
10-12 plants per plate.

   Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep my plants
healthy and thriving under this system? As well, for large rosettes, how
long can I keep the plants growing?

Wendy Allan,

---