[Fwd: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand]

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu May 3 09:05:06 EST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 21:02:30 +0100
=46rom: Jim Tokuhisa <tokuhisa at ice.mpg.de>
To: Wendy Allan <wallan at uoguelph.ca>

Dear Wendy,

There are several potential stresses in your growth conditions.  The
sand
may be too wet and be causing anaerobiosis.  The algae may be creating
toxins that are affecting the Arabidopsis.  Air exchange might be
limiting
causing excessive humidity and heat or altered gas levels.

An alternative substrate is porous clay or ceramics.  In Germany we have
been using Seramis.

I need to go, but I will send this partial message and continue it
tomorrow.  Good luck.

--
Jim Tokuhisa, Ph.D.
Max Planck Institut f=FCr Chemische =D6kologie

Phone:  +49-3641-64-36-51
=46AX:  +49-3641-64-36-50
E-mail:  tokuhisa at ice.mpg.de

---