[Arabidopsis] (no subject)

dee rawsthorne (NBI) via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by dee.rawsthorne from nbi.ac.uk)
Thu Feb 14 11:44:37 EST 2013

Using GM plants to =91grow=92 medicine<http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pag=
es/using-gm-plants-to-grow-medicine.html>
Live #plantsci Q&A
Wednesday 20th February, 12-1pm

Plants can be modified to =91grow=92 medicines. For example, insulin can be=
 =91grown=92 in a GM safflower plant, which would be cheaper and more effic=
ient than current methods. These plant-made pharmaceuticals are never likel=
y to enter the food-chain but they fall under the same EU regulations as GM=
 crops that are grown as food. The EU GM regulatory system is lengthy and c=
ostly, making the cheaper plant-made alternative production method prohibit=
ively expensive.

In a soon to be published paper a comparison between the US and EU regulati=
ons surrounding plant-made pharmaceuticals is made and they discuss if EU r=
egulation hinders progress and investment into these new technologies. We w=
ill be running a live #plantsci Q&A with the authors and you can start send=
ing questions, concerns and ideas to us now, on any aspect of this, for the=
m to respond to.

Questions can be sent via email to plantsci from senseaboutscience.org<mailto:pl=
antsci from senseaboutscience.org>, via Twitter using #plantsci<https://twitter.=
com/search?q=3D%23plantsci&src=3Dtypd> or via our Facebook page Sense About=
 Science<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sense-About-Science/182689751780179>=
.

--
Dr Frances Downey
Public Liaison

Support our 'Ask for evidence' campaign at www.senseaboutscience.org/askfor=
evidence<http://www.senseaboutscience.org/askforevidence>

Medical Journalists=92 Association Health Charity of the Year 2010 for exce=
llence in medical campaigning.

Add your voice to the Libel Reform Campaign at www.libelreform.org<http://w=
ww.libelreform.org>

Follow us on Twitter @senseaboutsci and @voiceofyoungsci, and find us on Fa=
cebook.

Sense About Science is a small charity (Registered Charity No 1146170, Comp=
any No. 6771027) that equips people to make sense of science and evidence. =
We depend on donations, large and small, from people who support our work. =
You can donate, or find out more, at www.senseaboutscience.org/donate<http:=