[Arabidopsis] some questions about the genome sequencing in Arabidopsis T-DNA insertion lines

Etienne Bucher via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by e.bucher from unibas.ch)
Wed Oct 9 07:05:14 EST 2013

Dear Li,

For Q1, this sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Q2: That you have such a high number of SNPs/Indels is not so surprising
to me, I have been re-sequencing Col-0 and found many SNPs, often in
repetitive sequences, this is usually just the result of miss-mapping of
reads in repetitive sequences. Are all the SNPs you found homozygous
(freq. more than 80% of the reads)? The number of SNPs in the comparison
of Col-7 to mutant1 indeed seems excessive, also here are all mutations
homozygous? Do they mostly lie in repetitive sequences (centromer)? I have
also seen strange things in T-DNA mutagenesis, such as 4kb deletion w/o
T-DNA insertion.
My suggestion, backcross your mutant to the parental line go for F2 and
see which mutation is linked to your phenotype (use your seq data to
develop mapping markers) this will narrow down your mapping region.

Best greetings,
Etienne

Dr. Etienne Bucher
Principal Investigator