[Arabidopsis] chloral hydrate for DIC microscopy

Shpak, Elena D via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by eshpak from utk.edu)
Mon Oct 28 13:01:30 EST 2013

My lab uses chloral hydrate for DIC microscopy of Arabidopsis tissues. Originally we bought it from Fisher but they do not carry it anymore. Most recently we bought chloral hydrate from Spectrum Chemicals but now it is on a backorder indefinitely and the vendor does not have any date that it would be available. A year and a half ago we bought chloral hydrate from Sigma. We got two different batches but in both cases pH was so low (0.5) that it would destroy Arabidopsis tissues almost immediately. Sigma reimbursed us however we had to switch to Spectrum Chemicals. Now Sigma has a backorder on chloral hydrate until February. Have anybody got chloral hydrate from them recently? Is the quality of it got any better? If not is it possible to pH that chloral hydrate and make it usable? (We tried but were not successful.) Is there any other source for chloral hydrate in the USA?