[Arabidopsis] Postdoctoral Position: Plant-Nematode Interactions

Andrew Bent via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by afbent from wisc.edu)
Thu Jun 23 19:18:16 EST 2016

Postdoctoral Scientist - Mechanisms of Plant Resistance to Nematodes
Bent Lab, University of Wisconsin - Madison

Job description:
            Study the molecular basis of plant disease resistance against cyst nematodes.  We work primarily with soybean and Arabidopsis. Having cloned and characterized the economically very important Rhg1 locus of soybean that encodes resistance to soybean cyst nematode (Cook et al. 2012 Science 338:1206-1209), we are now discovering Rhg1 resistance mechanisms and pursuing additional plant loci that contribute to cyst nematode resistance.  Our recent unpublished findings implicate disruption of vesicle trafficking as one part of the mechanism.  Rhg1 is a complex locus with three genes contributing to resistance and with copy number variation impacting efficacy.  There is much interesting biology and biotechnology to explore, both in soybean and in other plants, regarding Rhg1-mediated resistance and other forms of plant resistance to nematodes.
            This position also includes opportunities to build professional career skills in teaching and mentoring. We enjoy scientific inquiry and seek an individual with the curiosity and enthusiasm to match.

Job Requirement
Candidates should have completed or be very near to completion of their Ph.D. degree, and preferably be able to start before end of 2016.

Location:
            University of Wisconsin - Madison is a popular location for scientific training and for quality of life.  Located lakeside in a progressive city that is the state capitol, Madison enjoys a four-season environment.

Application Instructions:
            Review of applicants will begin immediately and job may be filled before application deadline (apply early).  Please send by e-mail a current copy of your CV, including names and contact information for 3-4 personal references, and a cover letter (e-mail message OK) describing your interests.  Include the word "postdoctoral" in the Subject line of your e-mail application.

Contact Info:
Andrew Bent, Professor
University of Wisconsin - Madison
1630 Linden Drive