active feedback definition.

Steve C steve927 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 8 17:09:16 EST 1996

Would anyone be able to give an explanation of the activefeedback (AF)
of the hearing system? How a normal one operates? Also, the difference
between "loudness recruitment" and a "response recruitment"?

I'm reading a study by M. Zhang, J.J. Zwislocki/ Hearing Research 85,
that I purchased on recruitment that was done in 1995. The findings
which are then explained are:

Question #1 "is the mechanism located in the cochlea, in the auditory
nerve, or at a more central level of the auditory pathway?"

#2 Is the mechanism local or does it require an abnormal spread of
excitation?

#3 What is the mechanism of the recruitment?

"In this paper, we first report the presence of a response recruitment
in the outer hair cells (OHCs), as infered from Hensen's cell (HC)
response. This provides a partial answer to the first question  Then we
address the second question and present experimental evidence showing
that response recruitment exists at the level of single HCs. This
indicates that it exists at the level of single OHCs. Finally, in
addressing the last question, we discuss relationships suggesting that
the recruitment is due entirely or in part to partial or complete
elimination of the active feedback (AF).

Thanks.