infection control

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Fri May 10 06:09:56 EST 1996

In article <31928615.4ACD at lobe.frye.com>, sfrye at FRYE.COM says...

>While cerumen itself doesn't harbor bacteria, blood in the cerumen can.
>She was concerned about hepatitis and, of course, HIV.  She also
>emphasized the importance of washing hands.

One of my patients recently asked about the possibility of infection from
(open-loop water) caloric irrigations. Turns out she stuffed her ears with
cotton as soon as she left the lab, turning her ears into a marvelous petri
dish... Even with that, she had no infection on exam. In 12 years of doing
ENG, I've never seen or heard of a case of infection attributed to calorics.
Has anyone else?

We use silicone gloves during calorics, and wipe the irrigator tip with
alcohol after use. Most folks who use the closed-loop irrigators seem to reuse
the little balloons (I hear they're darned expensive...). What procedures are
other folks using?