Why Purchasing a Hearing Aid is a Consumer Nightmare

Brad whitneyb at erols.com
Sun Sep 21 21:30:16 EST 1997

Why Purchasing a Hearing Aid is a Consumer Nightmare

The way hearing aids are marketed in the US makes it very difficult
for a consumer to become sufficiently informed to make an educated
decision and is therefore totally at the discretion (some might say
 mercy) of the hearing aid dispenser.

For the last several weeks I have been going through the process of
trying to decide if I should purchase an aid and as part of the process
I have been following this newsgroup and even participated on two occasions.
I have seen ample evidence some of the participants of this newsgroup need to
understand this process from the consumer's point of view, especially given
the flaming I received for the sin of documenting some hearing aid prices.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS POST IS AN HONEST ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE BETWEEN
A TYPICAL CONSUMER AND DISPENSING AUDIOLOGISTS SO THAT OUR GROUPS UNDERSTAND
EACH OTHER.

The Problem:

With the availability of hearing instruments such as the Widex Senso
consumers are being asked to pay thousands of dollars for a new,
relatively unproven, product.  These aids are usually recommended by an
audiologist or dispenser we usually picked out of the phone book and/or
we seldom see, with little or no way of checking into the aids reputation,
the dealers reputation, or determining if the price is fair.  Additionally,
we consumers have no way to validate if the recommended aid is the best
technical solution, or maybe just the highest priced one.  We are asked to
totally trust the audiologist or dispenser we may have just met, or have not
seen in a few years.  This mix of circumstances is an invitation for less
conscience dealer to take great advantage of consumers.

This problem has existed all along but hearing aid products such as the
Widex Senso have dramatically increased the dollars of the expenditure
to the point it could tempt anyone to "get a little extra premium" for
an aid of this class.  The Senso, in CIC form, is so much more expensive
than other aids a consumer must naturally be cautious.  For example, this
aid is 30% more expensive than the top of the line CICs from either of the
advertising and high overhead kings Beltone or Miracle Ear.

Except for www.ahearingaid.com I have been unable to find any published
hearing aid pricing whatsoever.  Readily available consumer pricing goes
a long way towards helping a consumer feel assured he or she is not becoming
the target of a greedy dealer.  Compounding this problem, I have found
some dealers will not quote the price of their aids over the phone. Without
fail, if a dealer doesn't sell the aid you are inquiring about, they ALWAYS
tell you they have something just as good or better, and during the sales
effort, they will usually contradict other dealers recommendations (one says
CIC another says no CIC, one says K-Amp another says definitely not a K-Amp,
etc.).

It is very difficult for a consumer to develop any trust in a marketplace
with so many impediments to normal consumer tools such as priced
advertisements,
product reviews, etc.  With products now this expensive the consumer needs
some assurance his or her decisions are sound, as the money spent will impact
the entire family budget for many, many months.

With the Internet, international information flows freely and we see dramatic
price disparities between countries, compounding consumer unrest.  While the
differences in health care systems may effect the margins of the dispensers,
what is in question is the wholesale price disparity.  I have designed one
medical device and was exposed to the marketing aspect of health devices.
Many people blame the FDA for additional US costs but the truth is the US
market the worlds cash cow for medical devices because of our capitalist
health care system.

The old basis of pricing an aid based on a margin over cost gets very visible
as the price of the aid increases.  One dispenser told me he loves to sell the
Widex Senso because they are actually easier for him to program than other
more conventional aids.  He actually spends less time with Senso customers but
charges them more.

With no published pricing, dealers that refuse to quote prices over the phone,
and the sensitivity exhibited by some dealers if prices are questioned, a
consumer
must be very skeptical and exercise extreme caution when purchasing a hearing
aid.
Dispensers, you must expect this very old debate to heat up significantly as
hearing aid prices escalate at these precipitous rates.

Knowledgeable consumers are not looking for the lowest price, only a fair one.

Respectfully,

Brad
A simple consumer