WAIS session

"Robert Harper Finland", CSC Rob.Harper at CSC.FI
Mon Jul 29 11:55:00 EST 1991

This is for the adventurous... a quick introduction to WAIS via
SWAIS using telnet. Just telnet hub.nnsc.nsf.net and when asked
for a login give the login wais. If you have VT100 emulation
then it works quite well. Here is a session I logged from
Finland this afternoon, after being told of the availablity of SWAIS.

*********************   EXAMPLE SESSION WITH COMMENTS  *****************
sun4 /mnt/home/csc/harper 2> telnet hub.nnsc.nsf.net
Trying...
Connected to hub.nnsc.nsf.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
SunOS UNIX (hub.nnsc.nsf.net)

login: wais

! the fist menu that you are presented with is a list of
! available sources.

SWAIS                       Search Entry                            Sources: 15

   1:   Source: directory-of-servers
   2:   Source: ietf-documents
   3:   Source: internet-drafts
   4:   Source: internet-rfcs
   5:   Source: info-mac
   6:   Source: US-Gov-Programs
   7:   Source: cosmic-abstracts
   8:   Source: cosmic-programs
   9:   Source: eff-documents
  10:   Source: online-libraries
  11:   Source: poetry
  12:   Source: wall-street-journal
  13:   Source: world-factbook
  14:   Source: usenet-cookbook
  15:   Source: sun-mail

! if you hit a h for HELP you get the following screen.
! Now the two things that are important are SOURCES and
! KEYWORDS. With the cursor key you can move to the CIA world
! factbook (13:) and select the source by pressing the space bar
! an asterix will appear next to the source to indicate that it
! has been selected. By then pressing w you will be put onto the
! Keyword line and you could write Finland or Upper Volta to find out
! about that country.

SWAIS                  Search Entry Help                               Page:  1

j               Move Down one source
k               Move Up one source
<space>         Select current source
<ret>           Perform search
s               Select new sources
w               Select new keywords
h               Show this help display
H               Provide WAIS overview
q               Leave simple wais program
SWAIS                       Search Entry                            Sources: 15

! Here I have selected the source world-factbook
! and it is marked with a *  By pressing w I toggle to the keywords
! command line and I can type in Finland and WAIS then reports that
! 9 items have been found. There is a score of 1000 agaist the first
! item so wais is saying this item is the best one to look at.
! on the left you are told how many line are in the document.

   1:   Source: directory-of-servers
   2:   Source: ietf-documents
   3:   Source: internet-drafts
   4:   Source: internet-rfcs
   5:   Source: info-mac
   6:   Source: US-Gov-Programs
   7:   Source: cosmic-abstracts
   8:   Source: cosmic-programs
   9:   Source: eff-documents
  10:   Source: online-libraries
  11:   Source: poetry
  12:   Source: wall-street-journal
  13: * Source: world-factbook
  14:   Source: usenet-cookbook
  15:   Source: sun-mail

Found 9 items.
SWAIS                     Search Results                              Items:  9
  #   Score      Source                       Title                       Lines
  1: [1000] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Finland - Geography Total area:    266
  2: [ 964] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Atlantic Ocean - Geography Total    74
  3: [ 946] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Sweden - Geography Total area: 4   253
  4: [ 946] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Norway - Geography Total area: 3   267
  5: [ 946] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Denmark - Geography Total area:    259
  6: [ 946] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Antarctica - Geography Total are   145
  7: [ 928] ( cmns-vax.think)              Appendix E:  Cross-Reference L  1072
  8: [ 928] ( cmns-vax.think)  Country:  Soviet Union - Geography Total a   353
  9: [ 928] ( cmns-vax.think)                          THE WORLD FACTBOOK   697
SWAIS                Search Results Help                               Page:  1

! by pressing h you then get instructions for viewing the items.
! If the highlight is on item 1 then by pressing the spacebar you
! can retreive it.

j, ^N           Move Down one item
k, ^P           Move Up one item
<space>         Display current item
s               Make another search with new sources
u               Use this item to the list of sources
w               Make another search with new keywords
h               Show this help display
H               Provide WAIS overview
q               Leave simple wais program

! Wais then give all the data in the CIA world fact book
! which in this session was a bit garbled , but I expect
! that is because I was not using a perfect VT100 emulation
! Perhaps you will have better luck.

Retrieving: Country:  Finland - Geography Total area: 337,030 km2;
CIA The World Factbook 1990 900101
CountryFinland005- GeographyTotalea: 337,030 km2and area: 305,470
km2Comparativ,
USSR313 km

Coastline,126 km excludingislandsd coastalindentationsMaritimeclaims
Contiguouszone nm
Continentalshelf00 meters to depth exploitation
Exclusivefishingzone2 nm
Territorialsea nmClimate(coldtemperate(potentiallysubarcticut
comparativelymild;
population concentrated smallsouthwesterncoastalplainNote(longboundaryth
USSR(H)

Nationality(noun(Finn;
adjective(FinnishEthnicdivisions(Finn(Swede(Lapp(Gypsy(Tr

Language  Finnish. Swedish both official small Lapp and
Russian speaking minorities Literacy 100%

 ..... rest of text deleted.

 ! If you want to find out all about Finland then you will have to
 ! initiate a SWAIS session youself.
 ! Anyway this is enough to be getting on with. This stuff is just
 ! hot off the press so perhaps that is the reason it still has some
 ! bugs

 All the best

 Rob "Scoop" Harper