Review of sequencing software in J of NIH Rsrch

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Tue Dec 21 21:06:51 EST 1993

I found the incident that Howard describes in his earlier posting to
be unfortunate, and concluded that, in the interest of fairness, he be
allowed to reply to the comments made earlier.  However, this is as
far as this discussion thread should go.

I want to emphasize strongly that this forum is for use for research
and educational purposes.  It should definitely not become a
battleground between rival commercial concerns.  I doubt if any of our
readers want to see this kind of exchange repeated, and I especially
do not want to see violations of NSF Acceptable Use policy in these
forums.

In the future, we all would greatly appreciate it if commercial users
would restrict their responses to factual answers to direct questions
specifically about their products and refrain from any kind of
editorializing or making comments on anything involving competing
products.  I realize that this requires a lot of restraint when
someone may be flaming something that you personally might have a lot
of time, effort, and money invested in, but that is life on the net.

Readers should also not interpret this as a license for open season on
products which they do not like.  Please remember that there are such
things as libel laws, and you might be held accountable for what you
post.  It is much better if cool heads prevail all around.

Thanks in advance for everyone's cooperation.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				biosci-help at net.bio.net