GCGMENU using MFTU

Christoph Gartmann gartmann at VMS.MPIIB-FREIBURG.MPG.dbp.de
Fri Jan 22 08:08:13 EST 1993

Cary O'Donnell (odonnell at arcb.afrc.ac.uk) wrote:

> On decoding the MFTU file from fileserv at wkuvx1.bitnet I get a file called
> MFTU_ZIP.MFTU
>
> What do I use to decode this? It doesn't appear to be UNZIP50P1, because
> when I retrieve that & unpack it I get a file UNZIP50P1_ZIP.MFTU.

Hello,

unfortunately I didn't realize that you need MFTU to decode MFTU on
fileserv at wkuvx1.bitnet (and then UnZIP). Sorry for that.

A better solution (and tested by myself):

Send a message to
  FILESERV at WKUVX1.BITNET
containing the line
  SEND FILESERV_TOOLS
When you receive the result (five parts), extract it from VMS-Mail and store
and concatenate all parts in one file (e.g. TOOLS.COM). Finally execute
the procedure
  @TOOLS
This file is a VMS-Share archive and is self-extracting. You'll get executables
for LZDCMP, UnZip and MFTU.

To decode GCGMENU.MFT define a symbol for MFTU
   MFTU :== $disk:[directory]MFTU
Then type
   MFTU DECODE GCGMENU.MFT
and you will retrieve two files, GCG-MENU021.A and README.TXT . Install the
backup saveset GCG-MENU021.A as described in README.TXT using
   @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL
(You need SYSTEM privileges to do that)

By the way: as far as I know there are only two programs which are able to
keep VMS file-attributes when encoding and decoding a file - MFTU and the new
ZIP. As GCG-menu consists not only of executables but of RMS-datafiles and
VMS-libraries, the only way to transfer the package properly is through one
of the archivers mentioned above.

Sorry for any inconviencies
  Christoph Gartmann

| Christoph Gartmann          Phone : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221           |
| Max-Planck-Institut fuer    PSI   : PSI%02624505016037::GARTMANN           |
| Immunbiologie               X400  : S=gartmann;OU=vms;O=mpiib-freiburg;    |
| Stuebeweg 51                        P=mpg;A=dbp;C=de                       |
| D-7800  Freiburg            RFC   : gartmann at vms.mpiib-freiburg.mpg.dbp.de |
| FRG                           will change to:     gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de |
+------------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for VMS? -------------+