Bias in Stats Packages ?

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Mar 9 15:36:00 EST 1994

> The accuracy of their functions may leave a bit to be desired, though.
> I've just starting using Excel 5 and compared a simple linear regression
> with the results from Systat.  There was a good bit of difference in the
> sums of squares. For instance Excel gave a residual SS of 1501.088 vs
> Systat's 1500.565.  The resulting f-ratio was 364.1975 vs 364.300.  I
> think I would tend to believe Systat's results more :-)
>
> Dr. Warren L. Kovach              Internet: warrenk at cix.compulink.co.uk

Good point, but why?  Do they both give the method of calculation, and
which method do you consider more accurate?  I always have this same concern
with letting a computer do my dirty work, but prefer to base my bias on
knowledge of the methods used rather than familiarity with the program.
If you can share information about the method of calculation and your
reason for preference, that would be appreciated.  Thanks.
.
Leonard N. Bloksberg
bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
.