Papyrus vs Notebook?

Garry Myers garry at menzies.su.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 19:57:58 EST 1994

> Has anyone out there had experience with both NoteBook
> and Papyrus and care to contrast them?  If Papyrus' features seem compelling
> by comparison to NoteBook's, then another question for me is conversion.
> How are Papyrus' import features?  NoteBook's export capability is
> generously flexible, and so I suspect I could do whatever was necessary.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> David Harry                       Institute of Forest Genetics
> deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov             USDA Forest Service, Pacific SW Station
> Phone:  510/559-6439              PO Box 245
> FAX:    510/559-6499              Berkeley, CA 94701

 Hi David,

 Not having used Notebook, I can't help you in comparing the two; however
 document conversion I can....

 IMHO, the import and export abilities of Papyrus are the best I've seen.
 There are many, many predefined import and export formats (every single
 flavour of Medline is there, for example).  I have extensively used the
 Silver Platter format to export references directly from my Medline searches
 - a simple matter of setting the format and pointing the program towards the
 right file...go and have a coffee.  Upon return, all files are converted into
 the database with records of any rejects or duplicates encountered and a  log
 file for the session.  Additionally, any format (import or export) may be
 defined by yourself.  As an example - prior to getting this program, I had
 manually entered 100+ references into a word processor and only had this list
 on paper.  Using a borrowed scanner, I scanned the list into our computer,
 ran it through OCR, saved it as a text file...defined the format in Papyrus
 and voila!  All my old references in Papyrus with no sweat!

 To summarise - importing/exporting in any format in Papyrus is a piece of
 cake and is a major benefit of the program.

 Hope this helps,

 Garry.

 (no affiliation with Research Software Design etc)

 garry at menzies,su.edu.au