winplas and genbank files?

Richard A Goldstein goldstei at phantom.com
Sun Jul 2 20:47:24 EST 1995

>> i downloaded the demo copy of winplas. i'm trying to import genbank
>> files into new documents. that works without a problem but the
>> software cannot recognize the special features listed in the file.
>> this function works with the pbr322.gb_ included with the demo but
>> not on the ones i download. i assume i'm downloading them correctly
>> because the software recognizes the sequence and can perform a
>> restriction analysis.
>> thanks for any help
>>
>I was just talking to Rich Goldstein a few minutes ago and he says that
>this is a known problem with the Demo but has been fixed in the commercial
>version.  He also says that he has added the ability to cope with ambiguous
>bases, which is also a handy feature.
>	This is a really nice program and, at ca. $270 - 300 a copy, is not
>too expensive.  The only dislike I have so far is that the commercial version
>relies on a hardware key for copy protection.

Actually, the problem has been fixed in the Demo as well, which is
available from the Web Site,
	http://www.phantom.com/~goldstei/winplas.html
or currently in the /Incoming directory at IUBio as /Incoming/WinPlasD.Zip
(Note the prior version, WinPlasD.EXE at the same site, has the bug)

The problem involved ambiguity with the "source" feature key, and removing
"source" features from the GenBank files _should_ solve the problem for those using
the buggy Demo.

Ambiguous base handling is available in the commercial version.

Please address any questions, comments, suggestions, or problems to
Rich Goldstein, Goldstein Software
goldstei at phantom.com

All mail promptly answered!