Software to receive data from a mass-spectrometer through a serial interface.

Mat Ballard m.ballard at chem.csiro.au
Thu Feb 8 22:55:44 EST 1996

In article <4fa3ea$66m at sun4.bham.ac.uk>, M.A.Warner at bham.ac.uk says...

>I'm currently looking for some software that will allow me to hook up a
>mass-spectrometer to a PC.  I'm doing a PhD research project which
>involves analysing the exhaled gases for birds.  I have a
>mass-spectrometer (Model MGA2000 made by CASE Scientific Instruments)
>which will allow me to do this, unfortunately it is not currently wired
>up to a computer, so I can only get data onto a pen recorder, which is
>far from ideal.  However, the mass-spec can output data in a digital
>format via a serial (RS232) interface.

the first order solution is very simple: just connect your RS232 cable to
a serial port, run windoze, then run the "TERMINAL" applet. tinker with
the port settings, and voila ! then simply save to disk or copy and paste
to a spreadsheet.

a more sophisticated answer is that i am currently developing a GPC
program. it inputs (inter alia) RS232 data, saves it, graphs it,
integrates or differentiates, etc. if >>>the price was right<<< i could
adapt it to your application.

suggest you try option (1) before (2), and see how far you get.

good luck,

Mat Ballard