REQUEST for 3D modelling Software

Marc Saric saric at
Wed Jan 21 05:41:47 EST 1998

jan morren wrote:
> Hello there,
> I'm working as a systemadministrator at the Laboratory for Molecular
> Cell Biology at the university of Leuven (Belgium).

> We're looking for 3D Modelling software to view and edit molecules,
> etc...
> We already are awair of things like RasMol and Chime.  But those are
> only for viewing in Internetwindows.  The thing is that we need to add
> stuff.
Not fully true imho: Rasmol is a standalone viewer with strong display
and view-manipulation-capabilities. It can´t be used as an editor
(mutation, conformation-changes) though.

Have a look at SwissPDBViewer, which has been written for the Mac

> We are working with PowerMacintosh computers with MacOS 8, soon with
> MacOS 8.1.
I´m not shure wether there are other Mac-based freeware-progs, but if
you want to look at other stuff, also try Molmol, which is at

Marc Saric

Lehrstuhl fuer Biophysik
Projektgruppe Theoretische Biophysik

Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum