expression database

Keith L. Steward ksteward at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Sep 26 23:51:02 EST 1994

In article <patterson-2509941717220001 at atgw-wel-900d-1-c27.mgh.harvard.edu> patterson at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu writes:

>Is there a way to find out what promoters to use to get a gene expressed in a
>certain cell?  For example, if I have this killer experiment that requires
>that I express the human cDNA for amyloid protein in the excretory cell,
>how do I find out what promoter to use?   Is there a data base that can be
>queried with a cell type that will give back a list of promoters?  If not,
>is there any interest in creating one?

>Garth Patterson
>Mass. Gen. Hosp.
>patterson at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu

Garth:

What you are asking about was discussed at the first Worm Community System
(WCS) workshop held this past August at U. Illinois.  In particular, Curt
Jamison at Community Systems Labs (CSL) is attempting to gather data on gene
expression and correlate this with the cell lineage which is already in WCS.
So it is in the works.  I know that some of the people at CSL monitor this
newsgroup, so perhaps they can comment further as to where things stand.
Also, CSL has submitted a WBG abstract describing the workshop and new
directions WCS may be taking.

Best regards,

Keith

--
Keith L. Steward             Voice: (812) 855-0102
Dept. of Biology               Fax: (812) 855-6705
Jordan Hall                  Email: ksteward at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Indiana University             WWW: http://sunflower.bio.indiana.edu:8080/
Bloomingtion, IN 47405                keithpage.html