Transient vs. Stable Transfection

Jeff Frazier jfrazier at uspto.gov
Sat Oct 5 09:45:35 EST 1996

10/5/96

I'm a student and would really appreciate a little help understanding the
difference between transient vs. stable transfection. I understand the
common meanings of those terms (i.e., "transient" & "stable"), and I would
expect that their ordinary meanings carry over somewhat in the context of
transfection, but I am needing to know their precise meanings in cell
biology. What are the use(s)/advantage(s) of choosing one type of
transfection over the other in an experiment? I am sorry if this is not the
correct forum to post this question - if there is a better forum I would
love to know about it! Thanks all, Jeff.