junk DNA

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Tue Apr 18 02:56:38 EST 2000

In article <20000418002618.12411.00000938 at ng-ck1.aol.com>,
rcjohnsen at aol.com (Rcjohnsen) wrote:

>  If they are not
> important then why do they comprise such a large amount of our DNA?

Why not?

There is a commonly held belief that where we are now, evolutionarily
speaking, is the 'best of all possible worlds'.  This is mistaken,
surely.

If there is no selective reason, no 'load' on an organism as a result of
the 'junk' DNA, then there is no pressure for it to be discarded.  we
could be in the middle of a fifteen million year experiment to get rid
of junk DNA for all you know.  :)

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil          http://www.gerbil.org.uk/
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk

'There's a fine line between genius and just farting around'