bacterial contamination

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 04:09:19 EST 2000

In article <20000919105728.15173.00000238 at ng-fd1.aol.com>, empusas at aol.com
(EMPUSAS) wrote:

> PV,
>      Pen-strep, pen-strep, pen-strep
> I used 20% in my media and change it quite often.

If PV is already using  pen and strep then as suggested Gentamycin could
be the answer.
If there is a problem there, then you could try and rescue them by
spinning down at 400rpm (sorry dont have the g figures at hand) for 10
mins then remove the media by using 3-4 pipettes one for each 3ml of
media. Dont pour because the top layer will come into contact with the
pellet. Resuspend and repeat 4-5 times. This should preferentially
sedement the cells in favour of bacteria.
You won't have a lot of cells but they should be clean.

> EJ

Cheers
Bob; Cloudy Scotland, but getting brighter.