Help: Dros. Anesthesia?

Chris Boake cboake at utk.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:38:51 EST 1997

In article <333953A8.E31 at pkgconsult.com>, jpflumjr at geocities.com wrote:

> Is there any way to make home-made anesthesia (sp?)?  I have tried
> putting the flies in the refridgerator but they do not stay dormant for
> very long.  Thanks.
> --
>
> John Pflum, Jr

Try using a chilled platform: a dish of crushed ice with a smaller petri
dish, upside down, over it.  Hard to draw but maybe my diagram below
transmitted OK -- you want the open side of the petri dish down, with the
rim in the ice, and the underside of your "table" touching the crushed
ice.  You can also chill the flies by putting them into an empty vial (no
glop for them to get stuck on) and shoving it into crushed ice; you'll
need to work out how many minutes are necessary but it is likely to be
less than 4 (I use 4 min for housefly-sized flies).  You knock the flies
out in the ice bath and then manipulate them on the chilled platform.

There is something called "flynap" that can be bought from biological
supply houses (I think Carolina carries it).  I have never used it because
some of the chemical anaesthesias have long-term influences on fly
behavior.

good luck!
--Chris