left-right asymmetry

B. Iyengar iyengabg at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA
Wed Feb 11 18:40:36 EST 1998

On 11 Feb 1998, Mitch Dushay wrote:

> There's another paper in this month's Developmental Biology on a mouse mutant
> affecting left-right asymmetry in heart and internal organ placement.  It
> led me to wonder about addressing the problem in flies, but the only character

Hello Mitch,
Here's something along those lines -

"Bioessays 1996 Oct;18(10):841-845

Asymmetry--where evolutionary and developmental genetics
meet.

Batterham P, Davies AG, Game AY, McKenzie JA

Department of Genetics, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
philip-batterham.genetics at muwayf.unimelb.edu.au

The mechanisms responsible for the fine tuning of development, where the
wildtype phenotype is reproduced
with high fidelity, are not well understood. The difficulty in approaching
this problem is the identification of
mutant phenotypes indicative of a defect in these fine-tuning control
mechanisms. Evolutionary biologists have
used asymmetry as a measure of developmental homeostasis. The rationale
for this was that, since the same
genome controls the development of the left and right sides of a
bilaterally symmetrical organism, departures
from symmetry can be used to measure genetic or environmental
perturbations. This paper examines the
relationship between asymmetry and resistance to organophosphorous
insecticides in the Australian sheep
blowfly, Lucilia cuprina. A resistance gene, Rop-1, which encodes a
carboxylesterase enzyme, also confers a
significant increase in asymmetry. Continued exposure of resistant
populations to insecticide has selected a
dominant suppressor of the asymmetry phenotype. Genetic evidence indicates
that the modifier is the L.
cuprina Notch homologue. "

Hope this helps.
regds,
Bala

 |			Bala Iyengar	                                 |
 |    __      __        1280, Main west	           Work Ph:(905)525-9140 |
 |   \__\'.'_/__/       McMaster University	                X27651	 |
 |	 (|)		LSB 523, Dept.of Biology                         |
 |      //@\\\          Hamilton, Ontario				 |
 |                      Canada L8S 4K1                 FAX: 905 522 6066 |
 |                     |<http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/4165>|
 |  "There is nothing new. One just doesn't read enough" - Anonymous     |