Efficacy of TM3 in 61-65??

Emma Rushton rushton at biology.utah.edu
Tue Feb 24 12:31:13 EST 1998

In article <v0151010cb1132d28d1e9@[146.186.155.80]>, gxt5 at PSU.EDU (Graham
Thomas) wrote:

> Fellow drosophilids,
>
> We are working in the 63CD region and are curious to know if anyone can
> attest to the efficacy of TM3 as a balancer for this region. The Redbook
> breakpoint go
> 1A1-1A8|61A2-65E|85E..... Is there a real opportunity for the end to
> exchange up to 65E??

We have a large collection of mutations made on the rucuca chromosome (ru,
h, th, st, cu, sr, e, ca) and balanced over TM3.  We have noticed stocks
where some flies are ru, and others where some flies are st, and these
flies are Sb.  The implication is that TM3 does not suppress crossing over
in regions 61F-62A (ru) or 73A (st).  The other markers appear to be
balanced, though it is possible that some flies may be homozygous for h or
th, as we would be unlikely to notice this if we weren't looking for it.

Emma