Filzkorper neurons

J. Rinehart rinehart at eou.edu
Thu Sep 17 14:48:50 EST 1998

Greetings fly people:

I am currently being frustrated by an inconsistency in filzkorper
neurons. Everything I've read notes that there are 4 sensory neurons
innervating each filzkorper but that each has a single socket with
multiple spiracular hairs. I am using an anti-HRP antibody to visualize
the nervous systems of stage 11-17 embryos and am not happy to see more
than 4 cells with axons staining in each filzkorper---as many as 5, 6,
or even 7, though the majority of embryos clearly have the normal 4.
Anybody have a solution to this dilemma? Is this typical when looking at
these structures?

John Rinehart, Eastern Oregon University