brighter GFPs

Robert Geisler robert.geisler at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Jul 26 06:35:33 EST 1999

Hi,

in my  personal experience, the promoter to drive GFP expression is the
critical point.  Any GFP driven by a weak promoter wil give unsatisfying
brightness, at least in my experience.  I am using a
polyubiquitin-promoter  (Davis et al. 1995, DevBiol 170, 726-729)  to
express wildtype GFP,  and this gives a very bright signal, although it is
just wildtype GFP.   I have seen several other GFP's in Drosophila, also
S65T and other engineered forms, and none of them was really as bright as
the wildtype GFP driven by the very strong Ubi promoter.
Stefan
stefan.luschnig at tuebingen.mpg.de