photography of in-situ hybridization on embryos

martin at whisky.biologie.uni-freiburg.de martin at whisky.biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 2 08:37:34 EST 2000

Hi everybody,

I am trying to take pictures of DIG-stained embryo in-situs. I made
pictures with two different microscopes having different digital cameras
on them. The first one (I do not remember the exact name, but it was a
Zeiss product) made breathtaking pictures that allowed to distinguish
between the blue staining and the brownish embryo very easily. But for
now, I have to use an axioskop microscope (also Zeiss) with an AVT
digital camera on it. The latter setup takes more or less ok pictures,
but it never allows to distinguish between strain and background by
color. If I use a bluefilter for example, the stain gets blue and the
embyro background does the same. And this happens for whatever filter I
use, stain and embryo always have the same color shading. This is not a
problem of the camera, since I also cannot see different colors while
monitoring through the microscope. It is more or less black-and-white,
with black being dark blue and white being faint blue.
Does anyone have a suggestion what I have to change?

Thank you in advance,

Martin Struenkelnberg
Labor Fischbach
Bio III, Freiburg