[Drosophila] how to tell the larvae

Frank Lee lifei03 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 23:28:35 EST 2005

Dear all,

I am a newbie in Drosophila research filed.  Now I need tell the stage
of the Drosophila larvae.   But I could not useful information to teach
me how to tell the larvae stage (First, second, and third).  I even
refer to entomological book but failed to find useful information.   I
also searched Dros List, it seems this simple question was never
discussed before.

Somebody told me I can tell the larvae stage just by time (days).  This
is not determinate because of different rear conditions.  Is there any
morphologic standard?  Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

Frank Lee

Beijing, China