compensation point and senescence?

Mark E. Kubiske mkubiske at cfr.msstate.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:11:15 EST 1997

John,

Much of this issue has to do with vacular connections within and between
plant modules.  For example, the phylotactic arrangement of leaves on a
cottonwood stem are not all vascularly connected.  Developing cottonwood
leaves that are CHO sinks receive CHO from sources at very specific
positions (3, 5 and 6 I think, counting down from the apex).  See the work
by Dickson, Isebrands et al.

A good example lies with reproductive structures (seeds) that are very
large C sinks.  Developing seeds on reproductive shoots do not import 14C
from purely vegetative adjacent shoots.  Current or newly fixed
photosynthate seems to be immediately utilized with the module (structures
that originated from a single meristem), or stored.  An exception is with
CHO storage --  as C is mobilized from storage tissues, does it translocate
to a predictable sink?  Perhaps this is the issue with  the  clonal/ramet
C-sharing example you raised.   A similar example is with managed pine
plantations.  Stumps remaining after thinnings may remain alive via root
grafts with still-standing trees.

As far as shade-induced C imbalance and leaf senescence,   I agree with
Janice that shaded leaves do eventually simply "starve".  No doubt there is
some threshold at which leaves are no longer to mobilize, as you say, every
last bit of "suitable and available carbohydrate and lipid in the leaf
until they are all gone ".  Also, I'm not sure how this differs from what
you call "normal" senescence in which photosynthetic machinery shuts down
and leaves senesce.  At the risk of getting too teleolgical, we can at
least speculate as to what would happen if shaded leaves did in fact become
CHO sinks and parasitize the rest of the tree.   As the tree grew in height
and self shading occupied a greater and greater proportion of the crown,
the tree (rather than the leaf) would quickly reach a zero C-balance point
and fail go grow.  As it is, tree growth is accompanied by a decrease in
the proportion of C fixing to C respiring biomass.  The problem would be
compounded by retention of non-productive, N-rich, rapidly respiring leaves.

Dr. Mark E. Kubiske                     Phone: 601-325-3550
Department of Forestry            Fax:   601-325-8726
Box 9681                                   Email: mkubiske at cfr.msstate.edu
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS  39762-9681
USA