Hypereosinophilia=leucemia?

Mon Dec 6 17:44:36 EST 1993

In article <Choukrou-061293150109 at pan.univ-rennes1.fr>,
Choukrou at univ-rennes1.fr (BOUHALLIER H.) wrote:

> Hello net users,
>
> 	Is it possible to treat a strong hypereosinophilia (eosinophils>40 000)
> knowing that no parasitic organism can be identified so far?

Try assaying the serum for interleukin-5.  I have seen a hypereosiniphila
patient have correlative high IL-5 levels.  If IL-5 is up, possible ways to
treat it might be with IFN gamma, sIL-5R, immunosuppression especially
anything targeted to T cells, maybe even passive transfer of anti-IL-5.
WARNING: I am not a physician, but a humble grad student so these are
merely speculations.  I'd be curious to see what the status quo on
treatment is.
Allen Black
Dept. of Microbiology
U. of Alabama at Birmingham