your own journal? electronic pub?

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Thu Aug 5 08:19:49 EST 1993

>  Given that we are discussing this issue on a world-wide computer network
>of increasing accessibility and scope, it seems obvious that posting articles
>(including GIFs of any illustrations or graphics) to moderated newgroups
>is an alternative to publishing in journals. After all, as Judd pointed out,
>scientists are the authors, editors and peer-reviewers of the manuscripts,
>and can publish their work in any forum that meets the need for peer-review
>and peer-group recognition. There is no formal reason why the posting of an
>article in a moderated newsgroup can't have the same prestige associated
>with it as publishing a paper in Cell or Science, and carry the same weight
>in tenure and promotion decisons.
>
>  In keeping with Ms. McCain's overview of the necessities of journal
>publishing, someone would have to take the time to get an ISSN number, arrange
>abstracting and indexing, and make known the fact that a new venue is
>available for publication of papers on ________ (insert topic of choice here).
>The issue of whether the scientific community is ready for electronic
>publishing has been debated hotly of late, more by librarians and publishers
>than by scientists (as far as I can tell). Maybe we should do an experiment?
>
>Ross Whetten
>Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-8008  USA

   It is even simpler than that. Anyone, RIGHT NOW, can post the full text of
a paper in a suitable newsgroup. The newsgroups are archived at at least two
sites from which they can be retrieved. The major stumbling block is getting
general agreement on how the item should be cited in the paper literature.
I have suggested that we copy the format of most paper citations, using various
features of the date as "volume" and "page numbers".

   e.g. Whetten, R. (1993) Bionet.journals.note 804, 1315
        where 804 stands for August 4th and 1315 is the time the message was
        posted.

Ideally, with this information, the item could readily be retrieved electronic-
ally.

I think David Kristofferson is the best person to work to get some convention
agreed upon both by the electronic network users and by the Editors of the
paper literature.
                 Sincerely, Don Forsdyke