Public self-archiving

Stevan Harnad harnad at cogito.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 14:30:22 EST 1999

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, forsdyke wrote:

> Stevan Harnad wrote:
>
> > The only question is about what active researchers, with finite
> > lifetimes, eager to maximize their scientific productivity and impact,
> > ought to do in the meanwhile, and I think it is completely obvious to
> > anyone who thinks about it (the logic of it, the justice of it, and the
> > pragmatics of it) exactly what that is. The contributors to Los Alamos
> > have already shown us all the way.
> > That era is now over for this special literature, and it is entirely up
> > to us when we elect to reap the scientific benefits of that fact. The
> > Net and XXX have led us to the water: It is now up to us to drink.
>
> Once again, I agree whole-heartedly. However, I do not see why the
> private sector could not appreciate all your points and get into this
> act, rather than leave it to the Physicists and (perhaps) NIH to
> spell-out the doom of much of the paper literature. One of the major
> publishing houses could, tomorrow, open up a secure and internationally
> replicated archive and charge $100 a shot for straight deposits, $200
> for peer-reviewed "authenticated" deposits, etc. Promising new advances
> in "hypersearching the web" (Scientific American June 1999), will
> greatly facilitate the task of sifting all this literature.
>
> Sincerely, Donald Forsdyke. Discussion Leader. Bionet.journals.note

Ah me! Our universities already have free servers for us, which could
all be drawn together into one Virtual Archive, by, say, NCSTRL.

http://www.ncstrl.org/

So what is all this nonsense about commercial publishers coming in at
$100 a pop? Since when are publishers server-providers? Do you think
their one calling is to slap a toll on whatever we try to do?

You are thinking in all the old, wrong categories.

Stevan Harnad                     harnad at cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science    harnad at princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and     phone: +44 1703 592-582
Computer Science                  fax:   +44 1703 592-865
University of Southampton         http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton            http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM           ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/