Napster: stealing another's vs. giving away one's own

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 07:30:36 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Allen Kleiman wrote:

> Apple computer has launched its iTunes product which, in my opinion, will
> eliminate the cd industry and all who depend on it for a profitable
> business. Furthermore, they have an audio books component that could do the
> same thing to booksellers. This Steve Jobs is some kind of genius and this
> issue has implications for open access.

In brief:

Consumer-theft technology has no connection with or implications
for open access to the refereed research literature, which is an
author give-away. It would be better for both causes to keep them
as separate as possible.

Please see the American Scientist Forum threads on this topic:

"What About the Author Self-Archiving of Books?"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0450.html

"Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0541.html

"Napster: stealing another's vs. giving away one's own"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0671.html

"PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1309.html

"On not conflating the give-away and non-give-away literature"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2003.html

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#9.1
http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#24.Napster

    Harnad, S., Varian, H. & Parks, R. (2000) Academic publishing in the
    online era: What Will Be For-Fee And What Will Be For-Free? Culture
    Machine 2
http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk/Cmach/Backissues/j002/Articles/art_harn.htm

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: Complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing open
the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Posted discussion to: september98-forum at amsci-forum.amsci.org

Dual Open-Access Strategy:
    BOAI-2: Publish your article in a suitable open-access journal
            whenever one exists.
    BOAI-1: Otherwise, publish your article in a suitable toll-access
            journal and also self-archive it.
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/berlin.htm