Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 13:18:11 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, [identity deleted] wrote:

> I have noticed your recent postings on the liblicense listserv.  I am
> the librarian at [name deleted] Hospital, and we are looking at
> archiving the papers published by our staff.  I don't know how long we
> will do this as I am hopeful that eventually [deleted] University will
> embark on such a project but for the present they have no such plans.
> We currently have a staff publications database of [number deleted]
> papers. Our goal is to provide the full-text for as many of the papers
> as possible. I have noticed your postings encouraging
> everyone to self-archive.  I have a couple of questions.  First is, do
> you know of any resource either print or on the web which lists which
> publications/journals allow authors to post their own work?

Yes, see:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm
as well as
http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#copyright1

> I am also interested in what distinction there may be with the hospital
> putting up these papers.  Do you know if the publishers' intent is to
> allow the parent institution of the researcher this right?

The author's institution is the place where the author is entitled to
self-archive. This is to rule out 3rd-party institutions that could
re-sell or under-sell a publisher's content. Whether the researcher's
institution is a hospital or a university or both should not matter at
all, as long as the author is indeed employed by those institutions.

> I'm looking for additional information regarding any and all copyright
> information you may have regarding the self-archiving issue.

See these past copyright threads in the American Scientist Forum:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2EB52666

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: Complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing open
the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Posted discussion to: september98-forum at amsci-forum.amsci.org

Dual Open-Access Strategy:
    BOAI-2: Publish your article in a suitable open-access journal
            whenever one exists.
    BOAI-1: Otherwise, publish your article in a suitable toll-access
            journal and also self-archive it.
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/berlin.htm