IUBio

Brachytic plants and string cobs

Frank Kutka fkutka at sage.nrri.umn.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:01:32 EST 1997

Greetings:

I would like to hear from anyone who is working on brachytic plant
types.  What was your source population?  Why does the brachytic type
interest you?  How has it worked out?  What is the intended use of
your brachytic populations?  Dave Christensen of Big Timber MT has
found what is probably a brachytic trait in some Navajo materials he
has adapted to Montana, however the plants do not always make nice
big ears (But most of the time the 18" plants make 6-10" cobs).
Suggestions as to why ears are sometimes reduced in size?

Also, I am interested in trying to make use of the string cob (Sg1)
type in a northern flint population to aid dry down.  I would like to
hear from anyone who has worked with this trait already to see if I
need to keep working with Confite Morocho directly or if there are
adapted populations, and what sort of drawbacks this trait presents.

Peace,

Frank J. Kutka
Assistant Scientist
Natural Resources Research Institute