IUBio

maize germ

Robert A. Bouchard RBOUCHARD at ACS.WOOSTER.EDU
Wed Aug 19 13:46:47 EST 1998

I know of no commercial source.  However, while I was in the lab of Herb
Stern in the 1980s I experimented with using his original method for
isolating wheat embryos (which invloves breaking the seeds with a blender,
removing chaff with a blower, seiving, and finally doing differential
floatation in apolar organic solvents). I believe the reference is Methods in
Enzymology 12A) on maize seed and had reasonable success.  In saying
"reasonable", I mean that one could obtain good sized *pieces* of maize
embryos largely free of other kernel material.

rab

At 5:55 PM +0200 8/19/98, Richard Thompson wrote:
>Does anyone know of a source of untreated maize germ, or a fraction
>substantially enriched in embryos, for protein isolation ?
>Thanks in advance,
>Richard Thompson
>MPI fuer Zuechtungsforschung
>Carl-von-Linn  Weg 10
>D-50829 KOELN, GERMANY
>Tel.+49-221-5062-440
>Fax.+49-221-5062-413
>thompson at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
>Lab Website: www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~maitz/rt.html

---

Robert A. Bouchard                      Phone:  330-263-2433 [Note: new]
Department of Biology                   FAX:    330-263-2378 [area code]
Mateer Hall                             eMail:  RBOUCHARD at ACS.wooster.edu
931 College Street,  The College of Wooster,  Wooster, Ohio 44691-2363