IUBio

Problem with W22 tassels

Dave Weber dfweber at mail.bio.ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 26 17:45:51 EST 1998

Dear Nabil,

We would be happy to provide you with a reasonably large number of W22
kernels, we use this inbred extensively in our work and have a reasonably
large supply of it.  Also, Jerry Kermicle of the University of Wisconsin has
worked extensively with it, and also probably has a plentiful supply.

Although we have not grown it under greenhouse conditions, we have never
encountered any problems with pollen shed with this inbred in our Illinois
summer nursery or in winter nurseries grown on Molokai, Hawaii.  Is it
possible that the type you are growing is a cytoplasmic male sterile (CMS)?

Sincerely,

David F. Weber

David F. Weber, Professor of Genetics
Department of Biological Sciences