IUBio

high-throughput DNA extraction

Tom Schwerdt Trickster at wyld.net
Sat Dec 12 10:06:47 EST 1998

Hmm. I haven't used it for DNA extraction, but the Wig-L-Bug
sounds on the same lines -- stainless steel "tube" with cap
and stainless steel beads. We use it to grind up paint chips,
often in potassium bromide for FT-IR analysis. It's
reasonably well-made, but there are a few parts that just
wear out quickly (arms on the shaker) -- but they are
cheap and easy to replace. Most paint chips are ground up
in a minute or two, even epoxies and such. It works quite well
for our applications. It's made by the folks at Crescent Dental.
I have found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't know why someone would want to use glass beads --
sounds pretty ineffective.

http://www.dentalxchange.com/crescent/

-Tom Schwerdt (Only dabbling in Maize, paint chemist during
the week)

Http://www.paintlab.com