IUBio

Endosperm development

Leslaw Przywara przywara at grodzki.phils.uj.edu.pl
Tue Jul 28 16:01:46 EST 1998

Message forwarded to the maize net from a MaizeDB request.
message originates from 149.156.85.209 901615039
Submittor's Name: Leslaw Przywara
Submittor's Email Address: przywara at grodzki.phils.uj.edu.pl

Comments Follow:

I am interested in endosperm development in various species (kiwifruit,
rape, Viola).  Recently we cultured in vitro mature endosperm of kiwifruit
and obtained regeneration (triploid plantlets).  Also we work on the
induction of autonomous endosperm. Using irradiated pollen we produced
diploid endosperm in kiwifruit. Two types of seeds were produced: (i) seeds
with endosperm only (ii) seeds with embryo and endosperm. The embryo is of
parthenogenetic origin (n). The endosperm balance number in such seeds is
n-2n (the paper submitted to Annals of Botany).

We have also found that autonomous endosperm is produce in vitro in
unpollinated ovules of rape, viola. What is mechanism of induction of the
development of unfertilized central cell and egg cell?

I am very interested in maize endosperm project.

Professor Leslaw Przywara
Head of the Department of Plant Cytology & Embryology
Jagiellonian University
ul. Grodzka 52
31-044 Krakow, Poland