high-throughput DNA extraction

Martha James mgjames at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 25 13:31:59 EST 1998

We use the Dellaporta microprep method from the Maize Handbook to extract
DNA from a single seedling leaf.  Addition of RNase to the prep improves
PCR results.

>We need to isolate DNA (for PCR) from many thousands of maize plants.
>We've found some very quick/easy extraction protocols that work on fresh
>tissues.  However, the big stumbling block is tissue grinding.  We would
>like to avoid the necessity of freeze-drying the tissue prior to
>extraction, but so far we haven't had good luck grinding fresh tissue in a
>paint shaker.
>Has anyone worked out a reliable, easy protocol from fresh tissue?
>Patrick S. Schnable
>Professor of Plant Genetics
>G405 Agronomy Hall
>Iowa State University
>Ames, IA  50011 USA
>schnable at iastate.edu
>515-294-0975 (office)
>515-294-2299 (fax)

Dr. Martha G. James
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology
2152 Molecular Biology Building
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011
Phone: (515) 294-3818
FAX: (515) 294-0453