IUBio

Phenotype with AC or Mu gene knock outs

Peter A Peterson pap at iastate.edu
Tue Feb 16 14:15:36 EST 1999

Keith,,I do not know about those other transposons, but I have targeted En
for the past 5 decades and have a over a 1000 inserts, if I get your
question right..Peter A Peterson

At 03:20 PM 2/16/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>             Given the predicated ancient tetraploid nature of the maize
>genome, I am interested in finding out how often an insertion into a gene (via
>Ac or Spm or Mu transposon tagging) leads to a detectable phenotype. Our very
>preliminary data suggests that we see a phenotype more often than we would
>predict from the known number of single copy genes in the maize  genome.
>Please note that our calculations already assume that Ac, Spm or Mu hits
>transcribed sequences 95% of the time.
>
>Any help would be appreciated
>
>Keith Edwards

---------
Peter A. Peterson
Agronomy Department
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
OFFICE: [515] 294-9652
FAX: [515] 294-2299
pap at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pap/homepage.html

Please examine this website for a book on Maize Genetics and Breeding in
the 20th Century
http://www.worldscientific.com/books/lifesci/3285.html