IUBio

Maize crop protection from cold weather

Noe RS noerods at usa.net
Mon Feb 22 09:40:23 EST 1999

Hello !

I have interest about injury in frozen plants tissue cause by the cold
weather, and I want to do some questions about this, I have found some
studies of Hincha, D.K. ,   Universitat Wurzburg, Wurzburg, F.R.G. The
article says:  " The disaccharides sucrose and trehalose were compared in
regard to their ability to protect isolated spinach chloroplast membranes
against rupture during a freeze-thaw cycle. . Low concentrations of
trehalose (up to 2 mM) provide much more efficient cryoprotection against
thylakoid membrane rupture than sucrose at the same  concentrations.
Protection by trehalose can be attributed to a reduction in the solute
permeability of the membranes   which reduces solute influx during freezing
and therefore osmotic swelling and rupture during thawing"

There are some formulas about the use of sucrose and glucose, for prevent
the freeze damage to plants like potato, lettuce, celery, carrot and other
verdures and fruits like lemon, orange.

My questions are :

This or similar products (containing sucrose , or maybe with trehalose) are
being used in commercial scale in your country to prevent this freeze
damage from the cold weather to crops like maize ?

Have this products bad effects in the crops ? are they accepted commonly by
farmer ?

Or may be you can to suggest me some scientist or engineer who have worked
directly with this case ?

I thank any advice of you  !!!
Noe             (Chemical Engineer)

If you reply please use the button  "REPLY TO NEWSGROUP
 AND AUTHOR" to receive a copy in my email:   noerods at usa.net