IUBio

Questions about DIMBOA

David Weber dfweber at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 11 08:39:44 EST 1999

Dear Tony,

I had a MS student (Kevin Simcox) who worked on DIMBOA about 15 years ago in my
lab, and he did a literature review at that time.  He was working with a
mutation, bx (benxantheneless) that completely eliminates dimboa from
maize, and
he mapped this locus to the short arm of chromosome 4 using monosomics and B-A
translocations.  This work was published in Crop Science 25:827-830 (1985).  I
know that he was trying to transposon tag this mutation and another person in
Germany was also trying to do the same thing.  I also know that different lines
differ in DIMBOA levels, and these differences are heretable.  Furthermore, the
level of DIMBOA is much higher in young seedlings than in older plants, and it
decreases as the plants mature.

I would suggest that you contact Kevin.  His address is:
Kevin Simcox, Pioneer Hi-Bred Intl. Inc. 7300 NW 62nd Avenue PO Box 1004,
Johnston, IA.  His phone is 515-270-4178 and his email address is
simcoxkd at phibred.com.

Sincerely,

David Weber
David Weber