Graduate Student Assistantship, Plant-Pathogen Interactions

Dr. John M. McDowell johnmcd at vt.edu
Wed Jan 26 14:58:43 EST 2000

Graduate Student Assistantship, Plant-Pathogen Interactions
Dr. John McDowell, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University,
Blacksburg VA.

I have an opening in the summer or fall of 2000 for a Ph.D. student
who is interested in genetic, molecular, and/or evolutionary aspects
of plant-microbe interactions.  I study the interaction of
Arabidopsis with a downy mildew pathogen, and I am interested in how
plants recognize pathogens, how novel recognition functions evolve,
and how the recognition signals are transduced into defense
deployment.  Virginia Tech is among the top 50 US research
universities in terms of federal funding, and is rapidly expanding in
the areas of biological sciences and biotechnology.  My lab is housed
in the recently constructed Fralin Biotechnology Center
(http://www.biotech.vt.edu/). Blacksburg is located in an attractive
mountain setting and contains all of the standard college town
amenities as well as exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities
(http://www.bev.net/).

Interested individuals should contact John McDowell, johnmcd at vt.edu,
540-231-2388.

---