IUBio

postdoc available

Tobias Baskin BaskinT at missouri.edu
Mon Apr 2 10:23:09 EST 2001

Greetings,   Post doc available in cell wall structure.

	A post-doctoral position is available to study the cell wall.
The overall aim of my research is to understand how plants control
the anisotropy of expansion. Most research on plant growth has
focused on elongation and has discovered molecules such as expansin
and xyloglucan endotransglycosylase. However, these molecules
apparently do not also regulate radial expansion (see Baskin et al.
1999 Plant Physiology 119: 681 - 692). Identifying molecules that
control radial expansion is the goal of the DOE-sponsored research in
my lab, and for which I am seeking a post doctoral worker. The
project will involve characterizing mutants defective in anisotropic
expansion, measuring growth anisotropy, and imaging the cell wall in
various modalities including polarized light microscopy,
field-emission SEM, Raman Scattering and FTIR microscopes.
Experimental material will include roots of arabidopsis and maize, as
well as tissue culture cells. If you are interested, please contact
Tobias Baskin at the University of Missouri, Columbia
(BaskinT at missouri.edu;  fax: 1-573-882-0123). I encourage
applications from anyone interested, regardless of your sex, race,
religion, or nationality.

--
       _      ____          __   ____     Tobias I. Baskin
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \                 109 Tucker Hall